I’m particularly excited to share the many health benefits of wheatgrass at this time as I have recently started growing my own! I’ve always wanted to have access to this powerful superfood on a daily basis, and soon I will have my wish!
Wheatgrass is the young grass of the wheat plant, triticum aestivum. It is made up of 17 essential amino acids, 90 minerals, 13 vitamins and 80 enzymes. It is usually juiced into a shot or milled down into a green powder which can be added to other juice or smoothies. One of the reasons wheatgrass is so powerful is that is made up of 70% chlorophyll, which is basically the blood of plants! Chlorophyll is a phytochemical that is responsible for giving dark leafy greens their color.
Wheatgrass which has been grown in mineral rich soil is an excellent source of calcium, magnesium, potassium, sodium, iron, selenium, zinc and more. It also contains trace minerals that are necessary for the absorption of calcium. Some claim it actually contains all minerals known to man! But your mileage may vary depending on the soil you use.
One thing that should be cautioned before one starts using wheatgrass is that it is very potent! If you take too much, too soon it might leave you feeling sick and nauseous. It can also give you a headache or leave you fatigued. So start with one ounce per day and gradually work your way up to two. It should always be consumed on an empty stomach or with fruits and vegetables. You definitely don’t want to take it with or after a heavy meal!
Pregnant women, elderly people and young children should use caution with wheatgrass and might want to consult a physician before doing so.
So what exactly are the benefits of this amazing superfood, you might ask? There are so many that I would need to write a book to cover all the benefits from this beautiful green substance! So I will try to highlight what I consider to be the main ones! I encourage you to search and read more on this amazing superfood!
- The first benefit that jumps out at me is that it’s a great boost to the immune system. It does this by increasing red blood cells in the body. With all the colds and flu in the air this time of year, there is no better time to support your immunity with regular shots of wheat grass juice!
- As mentioned above, wheatgrass juice is one of the best sources of chlorophyll to be found. When it comes fresh from the plant, that is the most potent source possible!
- One benefit I find particularly interesting is that it helps to prevent tooth decay. The natural antibacterial and antimicrobial properties help to promote oral health, which can reduce the risk of cavities and gum disease. This goes back to that all powerful chlorophyll in wheatgrass!
- Wheatgrass can help to slow down the aging process of the body by rejuvenating cells and detoxifying the body via it’s amino acid chains and antioxidants. Damaged DNA can lead to more rapid aging so wheatgrass is a good way to prevent this, or at least slow it down.
- Wheatgrass is powerful in regards to cleansing and purifying the liver.
- Helps to oxygenate the blood, which stimulates circulation.
- Helps to alkalize the body and boost the absorption of nutrients. This is due to that beautiful, all powerful chlorophyll!
- Lowers the risk for cancer by lowering free radical damage.
- Helps improve digestion.
- Wheatgrass helps reduce high blood pressure.
These are just some of the health benefits of wheatgrass. I just had my first shot of juice from my first batch of wheatgrass and I have to say that it is quite satisfying to consume something you grew yourself! My next post on this powerful elixir will be about the growing process. I hope you will follow along and maybe be encouraged to try it yourself!